Follow by Email

Monday, December 17, 2012

Grief

When I first saw the news about the school shooting in CT, I was sitting in the courtyard at the public library watching children play around a fountain. The weather was perfect. I had checked CNN as I always do - I obsessively check the news when I am online. They said there was a shooting and I was upset reading that. I hoped that it was just some idiot who shot himself.. I hoped that if anyone else was shot that they would be ok. But, as we all know that was not the case.

I have taught art to elementary students before .. and I really enjoyed it. The kids were so amazing- so full of the belief that life is something to be enjoyed. Sometimes they ate crayons and there was some nose picking.. but, for the most part.. they were the coolest people I knew. I remember one day a young student ran up to me "Miss Mary! Miss Mary! I need to tell you something." He had to tell me about a song he had just learned  - a new song that he was sure that I had never heard before and that had my name in it called Miss Mary Mack.. and of course, I pretended it was the first time I had ever heard it. One time I talked to the kindergarteners about Da Vinci and how he was not only an artist, but also an inventor. I had them draw inventions .. some drew rainbow machines... one made a homework doing machine .. and there were a few magical pets and flying cars. One child drew a whole bunch of faces- each one the same and they all had glasses on. I asked him to tell me about the invention he was drawing and I was told they were magic glasses and the reason there were so many drawings is that there were so many types of magic in the glasses.

After watching the non stop news coverage of the shooting I just kept thinking back to the students that I taught.. and I could not fathom an entire class being murdered ... or even one. I cannot wrap my head around the kind of monster that would do what that monster did.

Today I was once again checking the news.. sitting in the same courtyard I sat in when I first heard the news..  and I came across one obituary. I want to share this one, because if you read this blog you most likely have interest and love animals... and you have something in common with a little 6 year old named Catherine Violet Hubbard.

"Catherine Violet Hubbard


Catherine Violet Hubbard, 6, born June 8, 2006, died December 14, during the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Her older brother, Frederick William; her parents Matthew and Jennifer; her grandparents Susan and Leo Sullivan and her great-grandmother Geraldine Russell Holden, all of West Chester, Penn.; Nancy and Earl Hubbard of Chatham, Mass.; and four uncles, four aunts, and nine cousins survive Catherine.

She will be remembered for her passion of animals and constant smile. Her family prays that she, all the students of Sandy Hook Elementary, and all those affected by this brutal event find peace in their hearts.

A wake is scheduled for Wednesday, December 19, from 4 to 7 pm, at St. Rose of Lima Church, 46 Church Hill Road, Newtown. A funeral Mass is scheduled for Thursday, December 20, at 10 am, at St Rose. Interment will follow the Mass, in St Rose Cemetery, Cherry Street, Sandy Hook.

In lieu of flowers the family is requesting donations be made to the Newtown Animal Center, PO Box 475, Newtown CT 06470.

The Honan Funeral Home, 58 Main Street, Newtown, is in care of arrangements.
The Newtown Bee                 Posted December 16, 2012"


The above is taken from the local paper the Newtown Bee their local paper. If you want a way to honor her you can give a donation in her name to the animal group in Newtown. It appears that it is a small volunteer group who works with fosters and has no physical shelter. I am sure that they can use any help that can be given to them to continue their work.. and I know that the family will appreciate anyone giving in the honor of their lost daughter.


"She had a passion for animals and a constant smile." 

No comments: